A Certain Romance

"oh they might wear classic reeboks or knackered converse or tracky bottoms tucked in socks,
but all of that is what the point is not..."

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Three steps behind, but still in the game...

Monday, June 01, 2009

A Century Removed: The Soup Dragons - "Whole Wide World"

The "I Hang Suspended" blog recently posted the first three singles by The Soup Dragons, all of which were released by The Subway Organization between 1986-1987. The first of these, the "Whole Wide World" single, remains one of my all-time favorite singles. I was fortunate enough to buy it on a trip to England with my parents in 1987 thanks to an awesome shop owner in Preston, England (who also fortunately convinced me to pick up the first three Talulah Gosh singles; proof that record-store owners can be great taste makers). I wore out the grooves of this 7" that summer and only later found the additional 12" track of "Pleasantly Surprised". I realize that it's 22 years later now, but these songs still have the bounce of the best Buzzcocks tracks. Enjoy.

The Soup Dragons - "Whole Wide World".
The Soup Dragons - "I Know Everything".
The Soup Dragons - "Pleasantly Surprised".

1 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer P. said...

I thought I was the only one who still remembered the Soup Dragons after all this time! Love them!

I'm a friend of Jon's, by the way--and I LOVE this blog. I'm forever looking for great indie bands to follow and you have some great ones indeed.

Here's 2 for you to check out that you might like (they both have My Space pages): Fonda (an O.C. band) and one from my neck of the woods (Boise) called The Very Most.

Thanks for making my ears happy tonight!

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home