A Certain Romance

"oh they might wear classic reeboks or knackered converse or tracky bottoms tucked in socks,
but all of that is what the point is not..."

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Three steps behind, but still in the game...

Friday, May 01, 2009

The Gaslight Anthem (Yet Again)

I was fortunate enough to catch The Gaslight Anthem live this week at Antone's here in Austin and I'm thrilled that I did. I've loved "The '59 Sound" since it came out last year but had never dug deeper.

"And I know you're dying for a good time, I'm dying to breathe again...".

Most of the shows I go to are of the "indie" variety, well attended by the questionably stylish and under-fed. When I walked into Antone's with my friend, his first comment was "way more of a 'mainstream' crowd", which really meant "everybody is of normal weight and wearing t-shirts and jeans". Odd as it sounds, it was really refreshing. This was a night about music and the way it travels with you and can document your life. If you're unfamiliar with these guys, imagine a cooler, younger Springsteen spinning classic American tales about classic cars, sad old soul songs, and waiting in vain at the local diner for that girl ("and the waiter served my coffee with a consolation sigh..."). Every image belongs in a movie.

"You remind Anna if she asks why, that a thief stole my heart while she was making up her mind...".

All of that said, this was by far the best show that I've been to in ages. Rock'n'roll at his purest core, all pretense wiped aside (gratefully). Arms pumped in the air, choruses rung through the crowd and every word was echoed by the attending faithful. It was awesome. Dig in if you haven't already. This kid has soul in spades.

The Gaslight Anthem - "Casanova, Baby!".
The Gaslight Anthem - "Here's Looking At You, Kid".


"Forget this deadman's town, I'll take you home...".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home