A Certain Romance

"oh they might wear classic reeboks or knackered converse or tracky bottoms tucked in socks,
but all of that is what the point is not..."

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Three steps behind, but still in the game...

Friday, September 21, 2007

A Baker's Dozen : Volume 10

Well, kids, who would've thought I'd have the perseverance to make it to Volume 10 of the now world-unreknown "A Baker's Dozen" series? 10 volumes over a mere 19 months. Not too shabby. But, enough waxing nostalgic. Back to what's happening NOW!

01. Lucky Soul - "Ain't Never Been Cool".
Yeah, that's it, call 'em all out on this whole "cool" thang! "I heard you say what you want, say what you want to; oh, but you don't though do you?". I must admit that this here tune reminds me of an old jingle I penned back in my fifteen-seconds of glory; this one just happens to be, oh, much much better. Website. Myspace. Purchase.

02. The Lurios - "Footloose And Fancy-Free". Oh, so it's not just me? You also thinks this sounds like The Kooks? I know, it's nice, eh? But it does serve to sadly remind me that I miss those darn Kooks. Regardless, a decent little kick-out-the-brit-pop-jams unit here. Myspace.

03. The Lodger - "My Advice Is On Loan". Twee. What a scene. Fortunately this guy picked up the finer points and left the rest of that sad lot behind. "And I can't explain why you work in an office when you have a brain". Dude, I know. Be cool now... Website. Myspace. Purchase.

04. Arctic Monkeys - "The Bakery". It's like old Alex is a bit lovesick here. Imagine that. "You're slackin' love, where have you been?". Classic. Website. Myspace.

05. Novi Split - "You Got Served". Wherein my weakness for nice harmonies lands these lads from San Pedro a deserving spot. Website. Myspace. Purchase.

06. Shout Out Louds - "You Are Dreaming". So, an old high-school boyfriend of my wife called her up last night and told her (after having not seen her for a decade plus) that he still thinks about her (get lost buddy). Fortunately, my wife's response was akin to the sentiment here - "and if you still believe I'm thinking of you, you're dreaming, yes, you're dreaming". Perhaps she's still into me. :) Website. Myspace. Purchase.

07. Camera Obscura - "San Francisco Song". (1) I am eternally addicted to songs with subtle chugs like this one (with simmering organs, mind you). (2) "I send you movie stills to rid you of your ills, cause you're ill (all high-pitched voice)". (3) How perfect is this band? Website. Myspace.

08. Voxtrot - "Honey Bee". My love/hate relationship with Voxtrot continues. I love the fact that I love their songs. I hate the fact that their songs are so non-immediate. They require an investment (as do the best of things). My short-term attention spans sometimes misses out though and gets lazy. Fortunately I tend to come around. Website. Myspace.

09. Pleasure - "Out Of Love". Yeah, I know, it's total teeny-bopper pop. But isn't it just too insanely catchy? Totally. Website. Myspace.

10. The Locarnos - "Sticks And Stones". Wait a second, didn't I play this one already? No, no, that was The Lurios. This is The Locarnos. Probably some distant cousin. And another Kooks-"tribute band"? Sounds good to me. Myspace.

11. Loney, Dear - "Sinister In A State Of Hope". By now you've realized that if you just stay with me long enough, you're going to get something all epic. Well, here it is. From the cold wintery places where this stuff tends to come from these days. Website. Myspace. Purchase.

12. Helios - "Emancipation". Beautiful. Beautiful. Beautiful. This likely works the same magic on indie girls that Al Green works on the soul sisters. Indie seduction? I know. Odd. Myspace. Purchase.

13. Sonic Flyer - "Overseas". So, disclaimer: This one goes on way too long. So, fact: I've likely played the first three minutes of this song more than anything else in the past three months. I'm addicted to it. The verse melody and instrumentation are amazing. When she comes in at 0:36 with that cool little verse melody, it's the best shoegaze moment in the past 15 years. Easily. The floor toms, that bass drone, the simple atmospherics. It just moves. File this one after that last Helios track. You never know. One may lead to the other...... Website. Myspace. Purchase.

4 Comments:

Blogger k8 said...

camera obscura can do no wrong as far as i am concerned

1:45 AM  
Blogger k8 said...

oh and p.s "nobody's cool" never fails to make me smile when it cycles through my itunes.

1:49 AM  
Blogger Usher said...

are you serious about the high school boyfriend? married chicks are always the hottest... hey what's your wife's number... joking.. maybe. ok i'm done.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Usher said...

ok, maybe not... loney, dear, I am john you may not want to let this one fall through the cracks.

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home