A Certain Romance

"oh they might wear classic reeboks or knackered converse or tracky bottoms tucked in socks,
but all of that is what the point is not..."

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Three steps behind, but still in the game...

Friday, September 14, 2007

Windmill

Bands that I've never been into: Modest Mouse. Built to Spill. The Flaming Lips. The Polyphonic Spree. Bands that Windmill remind me of: Modest Mouse. Built to Spill. The Flaming Lips. The Polyphonic Spree.

Be grateful for inconsistencies in taste and the fact that Windmill takes the (overly) established falsetto-voiced, thrift-clothed, US indie-boy schtick and serves it up with a wollop of pretentionless emotional ambition (wherein my musical taste perks up).


I know I throw the word "genius" around a bit, but in this case I'm (once again? haha) spot on. Windmill = one Matthew Thomas Dillon. Dude must use the word "epic" in every sentence it seems to come so naturally.

"Replace Me" snagged me from miles away. "I missed you a lot today, the paper chasing and office tied you down and messed with your ambition". This is the kind of song that makes you feel like day jobs and every other non-grandiose ambition that nickels and dimes your time to nil are as draining/useless as they sound (and yet the kids like food, so balance it all out). Regardless, it's a tune that always makes me feel like it's the "downside" (if there is such a thing with Saturday morning on deck) of Friday night. Goodbye to the city lights and back home to a sleeping baby and a re-run or two of The Office. I'm sure some people consider it "melancholic". Hopefully in only the best of ways. Enjoy.

Windmill - "Replace Me".
Windmill - "Ashmatic".
Windmill - "Plastic Pre-Flight Seats".

Website | Myspace | Purchase

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve - player of bass said...

I know we've argued about this before, but I still say you missed out.

I remember sitting in some dive in 1997 listening to Trailor Trash and thinking, "There hasn't been a band this hip since the Pixies."

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home