A Certain Romance

"oh they might wear classic reeboks or knackered converse or tracky bottoms tucked in socks,
but all of that is what the point is not..."

Name:
Location: Austin, Texas, United States

Three steps behind, but still in the game...

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

A Baker's Dozen : Volume 6

01 - UCLA's Awaken Accapella - "Hide And Seek" (Imogen Heap Cover). Two days ago, this magically appeared in my inbox courtesy of a friend. I don't have a clue about it except to say that it is amazing and gives me pleasant memories of The OC Season 2. | Website | Purchase |

02 - Brilliant Fanzine - "One In 10,000".
Lame band name, amazing intro. Who starts songs with "And"? Genius. "And right from the time I met'cha, I couldn't forget'cha". | Website | Myspace |

03 - Pela - "The Trouble With River Cities".
Very similar to the Beat Radio stuff and equally good. "And, yeah, there's an undertow, but it ain't got me". | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

04 - Shrag - "Hopelessly Wasted".
This one makes me think of Comet Gain. Always a good thing. Our cover stars. | Myspace |

05 - Letters & Colours - "Confrontation".
Trust me, once you get over the obvious Interpol and Joy Division leanings, this song still holds up. I was underwhelmed at first and now I'm into it. Ian would hopefully be proud.
| Website | Myspace |

06 - Neatpeople - "Baby I'm Bored".
You can always count on a British dandy boy for a catchy tune. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

07 - Ohm - "Follow My Fate".
Major change of pace from the other Ohm tune I posted, but this one works as well. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

08 - The Magic Numbers - "You Never Had It".
I can't quite weigh in on the new CD yet, but those undeniable Magic Numbers hooks are all over this tune and it's like an old friend coming home. Welcome back. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

09 - Tokyo Police Club - "Box".
"Cause I am a fake who sticks to his guns, it's what I know son, and it comes easy to a liar like me...". Autobiograpical moments are rarely this fun. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

10 - The Tyde - "Do It Again Again".
The Tyde do for me in a pop way, what Fu Manchu do for me in a rock way. Classic 6Ts surf imagery and quality hooks to boot. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

11 - Aaron Espe - "Settling".
Yet another "singer songwriter" who actually delivers the goods. Gorgeous. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

12 - We Are Scientists - "Hoppipolla" (Sigur Ros Cover). When I first heard about it, I scoffed.
A Sigur Ros cover? Impossible, I thought. Well, here lies further proof that I can be a real idiot sometimes. This is so insanely impressive. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

13 - Guillemots - "Trains To Brazil" (Acoustic).
If I was ever cornered in a back alley by some Pitchfork type with a loaded gun begging me to declare my favorite song ever, I'd (without hesitation) mutter "Trains to Brazil, you idiot" and walk away unscathed. I used to believe in the law of diminishing returns. Not anymore. "And to those of you who moan your lives through one day to the next / well, let them take you next / can't you live and be thankful you're here? / see it could be you tomorrow or next year". If there was one lesson that I could teach my unborn son, it would be just that. I've never heard gratitude phrased so beautifully. | Website | Myspace | Purchase |

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP!!! that imogen heap cover is CRAZY! they did such a good job. it lacks a little bit of punch there at the end where the original really kicks it in, but still, such a good cover.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home